Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Day of Two Losses

Today we went to our two festivals: the Pirate Daze Festival in Westport and the Sand and Sawdust Fest in Ocean Shores. The girls' favorite "sand castle" had Bruce the shark with Crash and Squirt (sea turtles) from Finding Nemo. My favorite was a camping scene--a really liked the dog roasting a marshmallow.

In Westport, there were pirates everywhere. They take their festival seriously! We wandered through the booths, dancing with a pirate band, and walked along the long fishing pier. We saw fish, lots of crab scuttling around, and even a shark (which was cut loose by the fisherman). We also visited a small aquarium with local marine animals (the catch them in the harbor) and a big touch tank. The girls got to touch lots of anemones and seastars, sea cucumbers and kelp. It was hard to drag them away and their hands were ice cold by the time we left.

What a fun day, and then, trying to get everything and everyone safely into the car, I dropped our camera on the ground and drove off without it. By the time I realized it was gone and got back, someone else was apparently very happy to have a new camera. (I wonder if our pictures were deleted already?) I lost a couple of days of pictures that really bum me out and I feel like an idiot, but I reminded myself that we were safe and unhurt, so how bad could it be?

We drove back to Rosie the trailer for the night. Domestic activity, rowdy kids and dogs covering the small patch of floor. I later learned that Gloria was playing with the door handle and unlatched the door, leaving it almost closed. I put the girls in bed and started washing dishes, but Jackson was whining. I bend down to check on him, and realize that Hank is not under the table with him where I'd assumed he was. Where's Hank?! Gloria began to cry and said she was afraid he went outside after she played with the door. Some very nice people helped me look for him, but Hank found his own way home pretty soon--sandy, wet and happy.

So today, I lost two things: a camera and a dog. If I could only get one back, thank goodness it was our Hank.

3 comments:

Kiv said...

Hi Misty and girls! Hadn't checked in for awhile. We had a big bday party for Devin to celebrate his 10th, which we didn't get done in Dec. during his birthday. (Thank goodness it's the last big party for the kid stage!) Also, my folks were visiting along with my 8 year old niece and Eddie the Dog. (The cats - and I - are still recovering.:) ) I did have lunch with Amy after she had talked to you, so I did know all was well and you were having fun. I guess that was before the camera and Hank losses. Relieved about Hank but still bummed for you about the photos. I know that hurts too. Hope you will pick up a new camera soon and begin taking more photos soon. David and I will be taking a vacation ourselves if you can believe it -- Niagara Falls. Reminds me of where all our grandparents went on their honeymoons 50 years ago.

I love the photo of Noni and Kevin on the beach. How great you all got together. (Yes, I'm jealous.)And, I was particularly excited about Yosemite. I've never been there, and I can just imagine how overwhelming it was.

I'm not even in an RV, and I can relate to comments of being with the kids on a sustained basis, and my situation isn't even close to yours. At least your scenery changes, but good to hear you all have achieved a rhythm. Both girls already look like they're growing like weeds, and frankly, I'm looking forward to seeing you when your journey brings you back to Dallas.

Hugs to all. Kivett

Unknown said...

Hey! I've been a bit behind, but just took the last couple of moments catching up. Sounds like a great, mind-broadening trip! We go on our own, much more modest, road trip to Colorado next week. Keep up the great reportage!
BMR, et al

DW said...

Hi, Found your blog looking for Westport - and wow! What an adventure you're having. My husband and I have talked about doing this when my son gets older (he's one). I will be checking back to see how you guys are doing. Very brave to be traveling with 2 little ones, kudos!