Friday, July 6, 2007

Whidbey Island

We were happy to be headed toward the coast again because it can get warm, even in Washington, with the van's air conditioner out, and it's been out for a couple of weeks now. The days on Whidbey Island are in the low to mid 60s, sunny and breezy. We got here on the July 4th and wandered through the Fourth of July Extravaganza in Oak Harbor. The girls got temporary tatoos. Gloria loved her Tinker Bell tatoo and wanted her friends and family to see it. They sampled playground equipment until Noni fell in the sand and filled her eyes, nose and mouth with it. She was a good sport about getting it washed off (and out), but she was also ready to go back to Rosie. Fireworks don't start up here until 10:30, and the girls were asleep long before that, but I could hear occasional booms deep into the night.

We found a dealership that can fix the van's air conditioner, but the part won't be here until Monday. So we'll be staying on Whidbey Island until Tuesday. It's no hardship given the weather and the views and the Mexican Restaurant I found in Oak Harbor! It's really good and is helping with some of my homesickness. It you can't be with the ones you love, eat as if you are.

Continuing on the lighthouse hunt, we visited Admiralty Head Lighthouse and the eagles that nest there. Being a lighthouse keeper was a very solitary and remote life, and they had an example of the traveling bookshelves that would be passed from lighthouse to lighthouse by the inspectors so the keepers would have something to read. There were at least 700 of these bookshelves with solid doors that were in circulation. Within sight of the lighthouse, we climbed around in the old fortifications from Fort Casey--built to protect Puget Sound from the Canadians, British and Spanish. Given that the perceived risk has fallen, the fort is now part of a state park and a national historic reserve. There seem to be deer here all the time, very at peace with the tourist all around them.

We even went to a mall. It's amazing how much fun a mall can be when you spend enough time in the woods. The girls had a ball at the play area with their instant friends. Then we saw Ratatouille. Gloria loved it, and Leona liked it well enough to not scream. It really wasn't very stressful because some loud, obnoxious little boys sat behind us. It's not something I ever thought I would be happy to see happen, but it does decrease the pressure of seeing a movie with a wiggly two-year-old who can't always remember to whisper.

2 comments:

Kiv said...

Well, darnit to heck. I wrote a lengthy chatty email, then my password wouldn't take, and then I lost the text. That will teach me to copy before trying to take on the big IT world. Ok, will see if I can send this at least.

Kiv said...

Ok, looks like I'm back in the saddle and will try again. First of all, tell Gloria she looks very cool with her tatoo. I don't blame you for wanting to get back into the cooler weather range. We had two hot, sunny days after a month of rain, and I already had had my fill of summer heat. We're heading for some water for a little vacation -- Chicago (on Lake Michigan) and then Niagara Falls. That's the trip you can take on AA miles when your husband says in June that he'd like to take a vacation in July. Devin is with his mom. His got in basketball, football and La Crosse camps before leaving. We're leaving Catherine with Estela for the trip, and we'll see how I do. Five days is the longest I've gone, but at least now she can talk on the phone (assuming she's "not busy right now"...I've created a monster princess I'm afraid!).

It struck me when you said that if you can't be at home, then eat like you're at home. I understand the homesickness even when your home is with you, but it sounds like you've eaten in some great places and met the most interesting folks that you never would have otherwise. When we go to Cantino Laredo, we certainly aren't making friends with the locals or the family at the next table... I am glad to hear that you've seen family along the way. That's fun and helps. I think a day at the mall and the movie was a good break as well. We are who we are - a nation of mall dwellers.

I'm also pleased that you're camera equipped again. As wonderfully descriptive as your journal entries are, sometimes a picture really is worth a thousand words -- especially of your cute little ones and some of the scenery you've encountered.

I continue to be amazed at your sense of adventure. For me, loading the kids in the car to run errands is about adventurous as I get: "She's looking at me." "He won't give me back my Dora baseball glove." "She said a bad word to me." And on and on and on. I miss working. I've been doing a little contract stuff, but it's time.

Continue on with safe and happy trails. Kivett