Thursday, May 17, 2007

In the Tetons

Driving through Wyoming, I had a strange experience. I passed by the sign for the Trial Lawyers College, and I thought about people I know being in this spot in Wyoming, which feels so far from life in Dallas, and learning things to take back there. It was odd. And then, I heard from someone directing us through road construction (hard hat, reflective vest, etc.) that Jerry Falwell died. About 10 minutes later, I drove past a golden eagle while both the girls were sleeping. Sometimes, this trip is surreal.

We decided to spend a few days in Grand Tetons National Park before going to Yellowstone. There are 2-3 moose who visit our campsite everyday, and bald eagles nest here. We've had to stop to let bison cross the road in front of us, pronghorn are scattered all over, and elk come down in waves from the hills in the early evening. We are constantly warned to secure food in avoid attracting bear to the campgrounds, and so far we haven't seen any.

Gloria and Leona are working toward being junior rangers here. I don't know how much of it Noni understands, but she wants to try and the rangers are willing. I'll add pictures and more tales of our wilderness adventures soon.

2 comments:

Katy said...

I just discovered your blog today, and must say I'm very excited that you're doing it with 2 preschoolers! My husband & I considered this lifestyle a couple years ago, but "responsibilities" kept us from doing it.
I'd love to know how you create an income (if you don't mind me asking), and how you manage, and how old are your girls?
I look forward to reading more about your adventures! (I live in CO and have a 4 year old that we try to travel with as much as possible. There are some stories on my blog.)
Thanks for sharing!!
:)

laurie said...

Moose visiting your campsite daily? I've never met a moose upfront and in person--except for the moose heads staring down at me from the Moose Lodge of my youth during those Friday night fish fries. I'd say Go-Go's and Noni's childhood experiences with moose and other critters are MUCH more interesting!

I am inspired to visit the Grand Tetons from your amazing description. I had no idea the wildlife was as rich and prevalent as you describe.

Safe travels to Yellowstone!