Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Middle of Nowhere

We left Estes Park this morning and drove to Jeffrey City, WY. On the way here, across miles of land populated primarily by antelope and hours away from the last cell phone service I had, I had a shockingly vivid image of breaking down out here--wondering how far I could walk with 2 kids and 2 dogs, how long it would take for someone to stop, and whether that person would be trustworthy enough to improve our situation. I was so glad to have Dad and Glenda within sight.

Now that we are in Jeffrey City, the biggest thing around for a while, I look around and see virtually nothing open. It's too dismal even to be a ghost town. The RV Park is operating on the honor system and is for sale. Everything else I could see on the way in was boarded up. Dad says that we are a little early for activity in Wyoming, but I have trouble seeing this little town bursting into life in a few weeks. It's no Radiator Springs.

I'm learning more about my trailer everyday. The refrigerator is working and I used the propane stove for the first time tonight. We have our little heater working, and it's very cozy in here with the wind blustering outside. Tomorrow we will continue toward Yellowstone!

1 comment:

Renee said...

Go, trailer mama, go! You are an inspiration. And I am so happy your can give your daughters this amazing experience. Go, trailer mama, go! (Sung to the tune of "Go, speed racer, go!")