Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Making it to the Mountains

We made our first significant goal today--reaching Estes Park three days behind Rhonda and Drew but still two days before they fly home. My aunt made brownies for the occasion, and I had a hot bath. Such luxury. My aunt and uncle, aka Mama Nell and Papa Bob, live outside Estes Park, Colorado high on a mountain with National Forest surrounding them. I love it here.

This morning, in the Dumas, Texas City RV Park, I was exposed to my first "Skip Hug." The Escapees are a very active RV group, headquartered (as Kevin knows) in Polk County, Texas, but with members roaming all over. They hug whenever they meet another Escapee (called a Skip Hug), and I was privileged with one because I was with my Escapee family and trying life in an RV. There was a lot of visiting between trailers and motorcoaches this morning in between handling business at the dump station and disconnecting from power hookups. After "Hello," the first question is always, "Where are you headed?" A high percentage of the group was headed toward some part of Colorado. It made me feel like part of a migration.

The girls and I have been discussing the things we see. Gloria especially liked the fields of modern electricity-producing windmills, but I still like the old-fashioned ones you see by dilapidated barns. She also spotted a couple of rabbits alongside the road, many herds of (one hundred thousand, Gloria would say) cows and occasional horses, antelope and elk. She liked the cowboy galloping his horse along the road, but I have to admit she generally seemed more interested in getting my to turn on another DVD. It reminded me of how I annoyed my father by lying in the backseat reading when he took us on car trips through Colorado every year. I understand why he resorted to paying us coins for the animals we spotted (an eagle was worth 50 cents, but antelope, even a whole herd, were only worth a nickel. Leona loved spotting things and pointing them out to both of us, but generally only she could see them.

Tomorrow, we'll find more elk and try to find the family of foxes that Drew's been watching this week.

No comments: